Spoil your sun-kissed skin: DIY Tropical Body Mist

Saturday, August 3, 2013
DIY Tropical Body Mist
1 / 2 / own vintage print / 4













Oh sweet summer! It's my favorite time of the year. I often say that I was born in the wrong country as I dread the cold and love the heat. This is perhaps one of the reasons why I moved to Hong Kong. And although our beaches here are far from being as beautiful as the ones in Thailand or Bali, there are some hidden gems that invite you to swim, paddle board, surf or just chill by the sea.


What I love most after a summer's day at the beach is the lovely smell of my sun-kissed skin (hello there Vitamin D!) with hints of coconut from the sunscreen and sea-salt from the ocean. But how to conserve that scent?

I've used a number of "After-Sun" lotions before, but they carry way too many chemicals and toxins. After all, you want to spoil your sun-kissed skin and extend this natural beach girl feeling!

That's why I've decided to make my very own tropical body mist which is loaded with nourishing ingredients leaving my skin drenched with heavenly scents of coconut, vanilla and neroli.


How to make a tropical body mist
























Here's what you'll need for your DIY Tropical Body Mist:

- 50ml glass spray bottle
- 30ml distilled water
- 10ml Rose or Lavender Hydrosol (this is optional; you can use distilled water instead)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Vodka (for preservation)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Glycerin (for silky and smooth skin)
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 5 drops Grapefruit & 15 drops Neroli Essential Oils (please be aware that most citrus oils such as Grapefruit are photo-toxic, so please don't use the body mist if you plan to go out in the sun)


Coconut Body Spray for Sun kissed Skin


















Start by filling your spray bottle with lukewarm distilled water and hydrosol (optional). Mix the vanilla extract with vodka and add it to the water/hydrosol blend. Slowly add the vegetable glycerin followed by the coconut oil (I use a chopstick for mixing). Make sure you are happy with your blend so far (scent ok? how's the consistency?). Then add the essential oils, close the spray bottle and give it a good shake. 

Let it "rest" for a couple of hours before using it for the first time. Always shake well to make sure all ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Enjoy your handmade tropical body mist!

Now I'm curious: what's your favorite summer scent? 






2 comments:

  1. Hi. Mi name is Valeria.. I just discover your blog, and I love it! I don't find many blogs like yours, or mine as well. Just like you I use aromatherapy and I have wanted to start my own batches but either money or time is in between my plans, but today I did a hair mask with coconut oil and honey.Very loxurios without all the bad stuff. Thank for sharing your recipe. I am looking forward for more.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val, so happy you discovered my blog! I love to meet like-minded people who are as passionate about wellness and aromatherapy as me. Your hair mask sounds lovely - need to give it a try. Just checked out your blog and you have a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment makes me so happy!